Coronavirus Information

Key facts and links to Government, University & College Guidelines regarding COVID-19

**Guidance for resident students from 4 July 2020 onwards**

**Guidance for students with permission to return to College accommodation from 4 July 2020 onwards**

**Peterhouse Social Distancing, Hygiene and Face Covering Guidelines**

Above are documents that outline the College guidelines for returning and resident students.  Please note that you may only return to Cambridge if you have been approved by your Graduate Tutor to do so.  We encourage you to read these documents very carefully to ensure that you fully understand the current guidance.

Additional updates from the vice-chancellor on the university and covid-19 including information on the university library are here:

And specifically about reopening labs and departments for grads here:



  • Porter’s Lodge: will continue to be open as normal, although with a reduced staff. There is a one-way system in operation and a system of stable doors in order to maintain social distancing within the Porter’s Lodge at all times.
  • Tutorial Office, Finance Office and Welfare: Staff in the Tutorial and Finance Offices and the Welfare team will generally be working from home and should be contacted by email. For an appointment with the Welfare team (chaplain and mental health advisor), please email
  • College Secretary’s Office: Staff will generally be working from home and should be contacted by email.
  • Catering: Since Monday 6th July, a take-away lunch has been made available from the servery, between 12 and 2 pm Monday to Friday. Those wishing to order lunch are asked to pre-book via Upay (see other details in the email from the Steward). If you have any problems booking food, or need any help with Upay then please email We hope that after a few weeks of take-away service, the College will be able to offer the use of Hall for a sit-down lunch with social-distancing measures in place, including floor markings, one-way systems, and hand sanitiser before entry to the servery.
  • Conferencing: The Conference Manager is currently working from home. All bookings have been cancelled up to the end of September, and plans are being formulated for a phased return to use of venues ready for Michaelmas term, with particular emphasis on supervision and teaching requirements. 
  • Housekeeping: A reduced Housekeeping service is in operation. At the moment, communal areas of occupied student accommodation are being cleaned twice per week as well as some public areas that are in use.
  • Maintenance: In addition to essential and emergency response we are now generally operating on a rota basis covering work requests as they are presented.  We continue to carry out all legal statutory requirements.
  • IT support: The IT department is working from home and should be contacted by email.


Community, study and social spaces around the College

Most social and community spaces in the College have been temporarily closed in line with current Government guidance, and to minimise transmission of infection. Arrangements are reviewed and updated as government advice emerges, but it is likely that changes to normal patterns of operation and occupancy will remain in place for some months. The following areas of the College are currently affected:

  • Hall and Bar: The Hall and bar are currently closed.
  • Computer Room: Single occupancy only - bookable via the Porter’s Lodge.
  • Mail room: Pigeonholes can be accessed in the MCR and parcel delivery and collection is available from the Porter’s Lodge.
  • Other communal spaces remain closed at present: These include the MCR (except for access to pigeonholes), JCR, bar and meeting rooms.
  • Sports facilities: The boathouse is now open for single sculling with only one boat per session. Strict protocols are in place to ensure that good hygiene and social distancing are maintained. The changing rooms and gym remain closed. Anyone interested in taking out a single should book it through the boathouse manager. 
  • Gardens/Deer Park:  These will remain open but please respect social distancing when using benches or picnic tables (other than for members of the same ‘household’).


Please see the link below for full UPDATED guidance (4 July) on staying at home, going out and practicing social distancing.



** If you are concerned you may have the virus, please do the NHS self-assessment tool first: Please then call the porters to notify them - whether or not you plan to remain in College. DO NOT go to the Porter's Lodge. DO NOT go to the GP. If you are asked to self-isolate and are remaining in the College, we have a support team who can help you, so please tell the porters so we are informed and they can put them in touch with you. We can then provide guidance and support as well as check on you.**

If you believe you or someone in your household have coronavirus please follow the guidance below:

If you may have the virus, please DO NOT leave your house/room (except to get a test if necessary). The college have made provisions to support you if you need to completely self-isolate for any reason. Please contact the porters or welfare team if you need to do this.

If you are unwell you should not go to the Porters' Lodge, visit the College Nurse or visit a GP, pharmacy or hospital.

If you have symptoms that include fever, persistent cough, a change in sense of smell/taste, or any other 'flu-like symptoms such as sore throat or muscle aches, then please use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service in the first instance. If you need a test, that can be organised at two locations in Cambridge. 

If you need to self-isolate, we have a group of supporters in College who can get you essentials such as food or prescriptions. They will leave items at your door, so you should not need to go out. We can give you all of the information you need to keep you and others safe and well. If you are self-isolating, please call or email the porters and email the welfare officer at welfare(AT)

DO continue to use the nhs 111 covid-19 online assessment tool regularly to assess your symptoms:

Please call 111 if you have urgent worries about your physical health and 999 if it is an emergency. Please make sure they know you have been isolating and why. 


CARING FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH DURING THE LOCKDOWN (see also under the Mental Health Resources tab)

Please take a look at Public Health England's advice on mental health during lockdown: