College-Based Counselling

The College provides a free and confidential College-Based Counselling service for all undergraduate and postgraduate members of the College during Full Term. The College Counsellor is offering either in-person or remote welfare appointments.  

How do I make an appointment?

Many people sort out problems by talking to friends, family, or staff in their College or Department (including the college chaplain and college nurse or mental health advisor). Sometimes looking up some information about things that are concerning you is helpful and the UCS has a large section of self-help information on their website. However, there are times when you may wish to speak to the College-Based Counsellor in a private setting in College.

To contact the counsellor, or for more information, please go to College-Based Counselling at Peterhouse and complete the online form.

Please note, that during peak times, your application will be acknowledged and your details may be placed on a waiting list until a suitable appointment becomes available. The Counsellor is employed by the University Counselling Service (UCS), and students completing the online form are encouraged to apply to UCS and College-Based Counselling simultaneously for the shortest possible waiting time. College-Based Counselling is subject to all UCS's policies and procedures, including confidentiality.


University Counselling Service

The University’s Counselling Service offers a free and confidential service, open to all students at the University. Professional counsellors are available to talk through any personal or emotional concerns that you might have during your time at the University. The Service also offers a range of group sessions and workshops. The University Counselling Service website is a useful source of information on a wide variety of topics, including bereavement and grief.

University Counselling Service
Student Services Centre (3rd floor)
Bene't Street

Telephone 01223 332865


Please note that this service is in high demand and there is often a waiting period. Students wishing to speak to someone more urgently may wish to see the Mental Health Advisor, College Chaplain or College Nurse. The College-Based Counsellor is employed by UCS, and students applying for counselling using UCS's online form are encouraged to apply to UCS and College-Based Counselling simultaneously for the shortest possible waiting time.

More information on health and welfare resources, including support for students with disabilities and student parents, can be found here and on the University website.