Whittle dusk

Frequently asked questions on share giving

How do I claim tax relief on a gift of shares?

You can claim tax relief in any of the following ways:

  • Completing the appropriate section of your Self Assessment tax return
  • Requesting that your PAYE code is amended for the current tax year
  • Requesting that your Self Assessment Payments on Account are reduced

If you are not sent a Self Assessment tax return at the end of the tax year, or if you want to claim relief before the end of the current tax year, you should write to your Tax Office, giving full details of your share gift, in order to claim the relief.

Please note, if you intend to claim tax relief on a gift of shares, it is very important to remember that it is your responsibility to retain evidence of the details of your share gift and the date it was made.

You may also wish to donate back to Peterhouse the tax relief on your gift of shares. This can be done very simply under a new scheme that allows you to donate to charity, via your Self Assessment tax return, any tax repayment due to you that year.

Where can I find out more about how to make a gift of shares to Peterhouse?

For further information on charitable gifts of shares and associated tax relief, please contact the Inland Revenue on 0845 302 0203 or visit Direct Gov UK (see leaflet IR178 - Giving shares and securities to charity).

To speak to someone about making a gift of shares to Peterhouse, please call the Development Office on 01223 765187 and ask to speak to Saskia Murk Jansen.

Please remember that the College is not in a position to offer financial advice or opinions, and seeks simply to inform, with no commitment or responsibility. If you require specialist assistance, you are strongly recommended to consult an independent financial advisor.

What if I want to make a gift of shares but I am not a UK taxpayer?

Non-UK taxpayers are not eligible for tax relief from the Inland Revenue on the value of any charitable gift of shares. However, you may still wish to make a gift of shares to Peterhouse, which we can then sell to generate funds. Alternatively, you may prefer to sell the shares yourself and make a cash donation to the College (unfortunately such a gift would not be eligible for Gift Aid for non-UK taxpayers).

Can Peterhouse claim Gift Aid on a gift of shares?

No. When it comes to gifts of shares, the Government incentive is tax relief for the donor, rather than for the charity. However, this does not mean that charities are losing out, as in practice donors may feel in a position to be more generous or give more frequently that they would or could otherwise. In order to add Gift Aid to your donation, you would need to sell the shares yourself and donate the cash proceeds to the College with the necessary paperwork so that we could reclaim the tax on your gift, however this would make you ineligible for both income tax and capital gains tax relief on the sale of the shares.