Spring chapel

Health and Welfare

Welcome to the Welfare Hub for Peterhouse students.
Whatever support you need during your time at Peterhouse, the welfare team are here to help.
Welfare guide

Peterhouse is committed to offering caring, thoughtful and effective support to all of our students. The Welfare team coordinates this support working together with our student welfare representatives, tutors and other resources in College & the University.

We will be offering a programme of workshops & welfare activities in-person and online, as well as resources that you can use remotely. One-on-one counselling & support remains the heart of what we do, however, so please do not hesitate to be in touch with us. 

These pages provide a short guide to services offered by the College, the University and other organisations. They are not exhaustive, and the websites featured include links to many other charities and agencies. Please note that while we have checked all links at the time of posting, the College is not responsible for the content of external websites.

We have also produced a printed version of A Guide to Health and Welfare at Peterhouse, which is given to all students at the beginning of the academic year. Please email welfare@pet.cam.ac.uk if you would like an additional printed copy or electronic copy.

New to Peterhouse? You will receive further information about welfare in Freshers' Week. In the meantime, you might like to look at this general guide produced by Student Minds

The Welfare Officer, Jennifer Adams-Massmann, is available to meet all students and staff and she organises regular meetings of the College welfare team. If you need advice but are not sure whom to approach for welfare-related questions, please contact her in the first instance. Jennifer is also Assistant Chaplain. We are fortunate to also have a College Nurse, Natasha Kear and a Mental Health Advisor, Leanne Freear, whose roles and contact details are below.  

The college has a Welfare and Prayer Room, which can be booked through the Tutorial Office.


Physical Health and Disability


The College Nurse, Natasha Kear should be your first port of call for all health-related issues. You can visit Moodle for more information and to access online appointment booking with Natasha. Appointments are available weekdays during Full Term, during the mornings - see Moodle for availability. Please note that appointments will mainly be remote consultations at present, due to the current Covid-19 pandemic. Face to face appointments may be offered, but only after an initial remote assessment, and if clinically indicated. Please do not attend the Health Centre in person unless you've been assessed and advised to do so.

Outside these hours, First Aid can be administered by the Porters (call 01223 338200).

The College's Disability Liaison Officer is the Welfare Officer. You can speak to her about questions about accessibility, testing, working with the university's Disability Resource Centre, and otherwise getting support to help you thrive in Cambridge. 


Students with disabilities or long term medical needs can contact the University’s Disability Resource Centre.


In a serious medical emergency, call 999 and tell the Porters. In other cases, you can get medical advice by calling 111, or by booking an appointment with your GP. New students should register with a local surgery as soon as they arrive. There is no longer a University Dental Service. Students should register with a local NHS (or private) dental surgery. You can find out which practices in the city are accepting NHS patients using the NHS search facility.


Mental Health and Counselling


If you’re feeling anxious or low you may want to speak to the Mental Health Advisor (Ms Leanne Freear), the Welfare OfficerCollege Nurse, your Tutor, a JCR/MCR Welfare Representative or the Dean. The College Nurse also maintains a list of mental health resources. To contact our Mental Health Advisor, please click on the Mental Health Resources tab.

The College Counsellor is Panayota Manias; please visit this page to register. She is available one day a week in term by appointment. Sessions take place on Fridays in 1 SPT, room 4. Students are encouraged to apply to the University Counselling Service simultaneously and take the first available appointment.


The University Counselling Service is open to students throughout the University for individual and group sessions. Students are encouraged to apply to the College Counsellor simultaneously and take the first available appointment. There are also many self-help resources on the website. The UCS is continuing to offer support to students online during the summer.


University and College staff and students resident in Cambridge are also eligible to join Qwell – a new online counselling and wellbeing platform launched in April by MIND (Cambridgeshire, Peterborough and South Lincolnshire). Qwell provides confidential chat-based counselling from qualified counsellors, free of charge. Full details are available on the HR Coronavirus website. While this government-funded online service is not intended to be a replacement for face to face counselling, it does provide an alternative for those unable to access face to face counselling services.



Out of hours you can talk to someone by calling 111. You might also like to try the resources listed here.


Practical Advice


Your Tutor is able to provide practical support, including advice on financial hardship. For Undergraduates, your Director of Studies is usually the first point of contact for academic issues. For Graduate students, your Supervisor or course co-ordinator should normally be approached first.


The Students’ Unions’ Advice Service offers free, confidential advice and support to Cambridge University students on a range of issues, including finance, academic problems and welfare. They also maintain a helpful directory of University services and support groups.


Crime, Bullying, Harassment and Safeguarding

Cambridge Police Station is at Parkside. Call 999 if someone is in immediate danger, otherwise call 101.

The College's Discrimination and Harassment Contact is the Welfare OfficerStudents experiencing bullying or sexual harrassment may wish to speak with her or their Tutor.

The College's Safeguarding Lead is the Senior Tutor.

Students may also consult the college's Bullying and Harrassment policies, make an appointment with the University Counselling Service's Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor, or visit the University's Breaking the Silence website.