Looking up Fen Court Stairwell

Mental Health Resources

If you are injured or in immediate danger, ask the porters to call 999. If you need to speak to someone urgently, please follow the advice listed under 'Emergencies' and keep the college welfare team infromed. In other cases, see 'Other Support' and 'Coping with Stress'.


University Mental Health Advisers

The University has mental health advisers who are available during office hours. Please contact the Welfare Co-ordinator, College Nurse or your tutor for an urgent referral. 


During office hours, you can also make an emergency appointment with your GP, who can offer support and make a referral.

First Response Service

The First Response Service (FRS) supports people experiencing a mental health crisis, even when other sources of help are closed. It provides 24-hours access, seven days a week, 365 days a year, to mental health care, advice, support and treatment. 

By calling 111, and selecting option 2, you will be put through to a member of the FRS who will speak to you and discuss your current mental health needs. 

For more details see the FRS information leaflet

Accident and Emergency

If you cannot get help through these routes within a reasonable amount of time, ask the porters to call a taxi on account to Accident and Emergency.

Other Support

College and University

If you do not need to speak to someone immediately, please speak to the Welfare Co-ordinator, College Nurse, or your tutor for further guidance. You can also self-refer to the counselling service for university or college-based counselling.


You can call your GP to make a non-urgent appointment to discuss mental health.

Cambridge & Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust's (CPFT) Psychological Wellbeing Service is part of the Improving Access to Psychological Therapties(IAPT) Services.  This is an NHS initiative designed to make psychological or talking thearapies more accessible to people experiencing common mental health problems. 

Mental Health Charities


The UK's leading charity supporting anyone affected by eating disorders.  Beat provides helplines for adults and young people offering support and information about eating disorders. 

Tel: 03456341414 (Mon-Weds 1pm-4pm) or email help@b-eat.co.uk


Mental Health charity.

Mind Info line: provides information on a range of topics including:

  • types of mental health problem
  • where to get help
  • medication and alternative treatments
  • advocacy.

Tel: 0300 1233393 or text 86463.  Email: info@mind.org.uk

NIGHTLINE (formerly linkline)

Confidential night-time support service for Cambridge & Anglia Ruskin Universities.  This service is available 7pm-7am during the CU full term.

Telephone 01223 744 444.  Skype: Cambridge.Nightline.

Email:  email@cambridge.nightline.ac.uk (available anytime during the CU full term. Emails are answered within 48hrs)


National Charity for the prevention of young suicide.  They provide a HOPELineUK telephone service which is staffed by trained professional who give non judgmental support, practical advice and information.

Tel: 0800 068 41 41 or text 07786 209697. Mon-Fri: 10am-10pm, weekends: 2pm-10pm & bank holidays: 2pm-5pm


Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a response immediately, it's best to phone 116 123 (free). You don't have to be suicidal to call them! Details of  Cambridge Branch


A student run organisation, campaigning on Mental Health issues around the University. They have produced a Student Support Guide to mental health resources in Cambridge.

Coping with Stress

In times of stress it is important to make a special effort to look after yourself. A combination of taking regular exercise, healthy eating and drinking together with plenty of sleep and relaxation will get you through the tough times. Have you thought about?



Mindfulness at Cam

Mindfulness on Moodle