The Perne Library
The Library is a research collection for the use of the Master and Fellows of Peterhouse and accredited visiting scholars. Guided visits for Junior Members of the College are arranged from time to time: details are posted in the Ward Library.
The Perne Librarian is Mr Scott Mandelbrote. Inquiries should in the first instance be addressed to the Perne Library Assistant, Mrs Emily Grayton.
Scholars who wish to consult the Peterhouse Manuscripts should contact the Manuscript Department of Cambridge University Library.
The following publications provide information about the history of the Library and its collections:
M. R. James, A descriptive catalogue of the manuscripts of Peterhouse (1899)
A. Hughes, Catalogue of the music manuscripts at Peterhouse (1953)
P. Collinson et al., Andrew Perne: Quatercentenary studies (1991)
S. Mandelbrote, Donors of books to Peterhouse (2005)
R. Thomson, A descriptive catalogue of the medieval manuscripts in the library of Peterhouse (2016).
Copies of Professor Thomson’s catalogue [and some earlier publications] can be purchased from Peterhouse – contact the Ward Librarian for details.
Digitized images of the Peterhouse music manuscripts can be accessed via the Digital Image Archive of Medieval Music (DIAMM).
Images of other Peterhouse manuscripts are being made available through the Cambridge Digital Library.
The contents of the Perne Library have been recatalogued electronically. Records, which include details of provenance and bindings, can be accessed via the Ward Library on-line catalogue, where the location ‘In Perne Library’ should be chosen to limit the search.