Restoration of the Brewhouse
The Old Brewhouse was probably built in the early 16th Century. It started life, not as a brewhouse, but as a domestic dwelling, and a fairly substantial one at that. Old maps show it as surrounded by its own gardens. By the time the current Master’s Lodge was built, in 1701, it had been incorporated into its garden; its role as a brewhouse probably started sometime after that. Clearly its standing fell. The 19th century saw it lose its northern end to Pembroke Library. For many years it lay largely empty, until the last master, Adrian Dixon, cleaned it up and gave it some paint, giving a sense of its possibilities.
How should we use it? A return to brewing would be fun, but not clearly part of the College’s core mission. Under the new Director of Music, the choir has grown and flourished; but he lacks an office, and the choir lack rehearsal space, as do other College singers and instrumentalists. The Brewhouse offers space for all of this, and for a small recital room on the first floor. Plans from Giles Quarme & Associates provide for an external staircase to give access to this room, with disabled access from a lift at the back. The ground floor will give an office for the Director of Music, and another practice room. We are hoping to begin work in 2020 and are currently seeking planning permission.