This mediaeval avenue of houses was built in the 16th century. From the late 18th century it was occupied by the Tunwell family of bakers. After John Tunwell died in 1881 ownership was secured by Peterhouse. After the Second World War the buildings were repaired and covered in a skin of plaster. Under the skin the old Tudor structure rotted and the buildings became structurally unstable. The College restored Tunwell’s Court in 2016-2019. The restoration being covered by the BBC and winning a Cambridge Design and Construction Award in 2019.
The restoration of Tunwell’s Court restored the structural stability of the buildings and in removing previous modifications a number of old features were rediscovered: a bricked-up window containing 15th century glass, a Georgian baker’s oven, an 18th century baker’s sign, a Victorian copper boiler and a well.
It is a Grade II listed structure.
The court accommodates Fellows and graduates. There are four 1-bedroom flats and a 2-bedroom flat in price bands 11-13.