A picture of students on graduation day

Graduation and Congregations

Students or alumni who are eligible to receive their degrees may do so at Congregations of the Regent House held on Saturdays at regular intervals throughout the year.  The College Praelector, Dr James Carleton Paget, is responsible for presenting students at Congregations when they receive their degrees.

Any member of Peterhouse who has fulfilled the appropriate examination and residence requirements may proceed to their degree at Congregation.  The College will contact those students who it expects to present for their 'first' degrees at General Admission over the Easter Vacation (i.e. students reading for M.Math, M.Eng., M.Sci. and B.A. degrees).

The Board of Graduate Studies informs graduate students when they have been approved for their degrees and asks them to contact the College to make the necessary arrangements to have their degrees conferred at Congregation.  Please note that graduate students are not automatically entered for graduation – they must register for a specific Congregation.

The College will not put forward anyone for graduation who has not settled their College and University bills.

If you wish to put your name forward to receive your degree at any Congregation you will need to contact the Praelector's Secretary.  Please note that graduation applications must be submitted at least 14 days before the date of the graduation ceremony.  Graduands may be presented in person or in absentia.

Information about the graduation ceremony itself, including guidance on academical dress, guests and the dates of forthcoming Congregations, may be found here.  Please note that in the case of General Admission, Peterhouse students always graduate on the given Wednesday.

Please Note: Attention for Guests at Congregations - For safety and security, rucksacks, holdalls, shopping bags or bags larger than 35cm x 25cm will not be allowed into the Senate-House or the surrounding grounds.  If you bring them, you may be asked to make alternative arrangements for their storage, or you may be denied entry to the event.  If you need to keep your bag with you, you must seek assistance from a Proctor/Constable who will check the contents of your bag prior to entry to the Senate-House. Please allow sufficient time for the additional delays this may cause.

ATTENTIONDue to the continuing Coronavirus pandemic, the University has confirmed that Congregations will remain "In absence" ONLY up to and including the 10th April 2021 Congregation. 

Please contact the Praelector's Secretary, Mrs Celia Sievewright (celia.sievewright@pet.cam.ac.uk) if you have any questions.

Those who are now eligible for the MA award will be contacted in January 2021.

Please be aware that you may only proceed to your degree once.  If you proceed to your degree in absence, you cannot then take it again in person at a later time but there are no time constraints or deadlines as to when you must have your degree conferred. (With the exception of the MB).  If you have been forced to proceed to degree in absence, there may be a possibility of a ceremony held later in the year but this will be a ceremony of celebration only, no degrees will be conferred at this event.  The University are still pondering the possibility of such an event.

Please refer to the University website below for further information: