Dr Andrew Grainger
I am a consultant musculoskeletal radiologist at Cambridge University Hospital, UK. Within the subspeciality I have particular interests in sports imaging and imaging arthritis.
I supervise anatomy at Peterhouse and I teach radiology at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
I am involved in imaging amateur and professional athletes from a wide variety of sports and I was on the organising committee to provide imaging for the London 2012 Olympics. I have also provided imaging for other major sporting events.
My research is clinically based and is particularly focused on imaging biomarkers for arthritis. I have over 150 peer reviewed publications and invited reviews and have contributed 25 book chapters. I am co-editor of 7 books and a musculoskeletal sub-editor for the 7th edition of Grainger & Allison’s Diagnostic Radiology.
I will become president of the British Society of Skeletal Radiology in November 2022
Recent publications and books:
- Rowbotham EL, Grainger AJ, eds. Post-operative Imaging of Sports Injuries. Springer; 2020. ISBN 978-3-030-54591-8
- Arnold JB, Halstead J, Martin-Hervas C, Grainger AJ, Keenan AM, Hill CL, Conaghan PG, McGonagle D, Redmond AC. Bone marrow lesions and MRI-detected structural abnormalities in people with midfoot pain and osteoarthritis: a cross-sectional study. Arthritis Care and Research 2022. On Line Pre-print. doi:10.1002/acr.24955
- Scullion S, Grainger AJ, Greenspan A. Radiologic imaging of metabolic and endocrine disorders as they affect the hand and wrist. Seminars in Musculoskeletal Radiology 2021; 25: 246-259. doi:10.1055/s-0041-1727192
- Arnold JB, Halstead J, Grainger AJ, Keenan AM, Hill CL, Redmond AC. Foot and leg muscle weakness in people with midfoot osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care and Research 2021; 73: 772-780. doi:10.1002/acr.24182
- Farrow M, Biglands JD, Grainger AJ, O'Connor P, Hensor EMA, Ladas A, Tanner SF, Emery P, Tan AL. Quantitative MRI in myositis patients: comparison with healthy volunteers and radiological visual assessment. Clinical Radiology 2021; 76: 81 e1-81 e10. doi:10.1016/j.crad.2020.08.022
- Biglands JD, Grainger AJ, Robinson P, Tanner SF, Tan AL, Feiweier T, Evans R, Emery P, O’Connor P. MRI in acute muscle tears in athletes: can quantitative T2 and DTI predict return to play better than visual assessment? European Radiology 2020; 30: 6603-6613. doi: 10.1007/s00330-020-06999-z